Foreign Citizens

All foreign citizens entering México must have a Tourist Permit, issued by Immigration. The permit is good for 180 days. It can be paid at any local Bank. We can assist you in obtaining yours upon arrival.

If arriving by land, a Tourist Permit can be obtained from the Mexican Immigration office either at the Border or here in Ensenada. A land entry FM-3 permit cannot be used for Maritime purposes.

For more information on Ensenada please visit:




Regulations for legal stay of pleasure boats in México are simple. Every boat must have a valid TIP (Temporary Importation Permit, Permiso de Importación Temporal) issued by Mexican Customs (Aduana). This permit is good for 10 years and multiple entries, unless there is a change in vessel ownership.

Baja Naval offers a document service for $60.00 dlls to process the TIP permit with you in about 40 min. You will need:

  1. Ownership document (Certificate of documentation, Certificate or Registry from DMV Coast Guard or Flag authority, Bill of Sale). If the USCG has not issued Certificate due to new ownership, a notarized bill of sale is needed. If the USCG Certificate is expired, proof of renewal is needed.

2. Current boat insurance.

3. Arrival crew list. (Supplied by Baja Naval).

4. Passport of everyone on board.

5. If the boat is under a company or LLC, you will need a notarized vessel operation authorization.

Sample letter (click here)

Legal Stay in Mexico (click here)